7 July - a week in Edinburgh post-London

Recuperating after our time in London.  Edinburgh certainly a lot busier and haven't even ventured to the Royal Mile.  Lots of Europeans come here for a 'Summer holiday' (that's an oxymoron) and yet more Americans.

Visited the Three shop for a final time, having perfected the pathetic middle aged woman act and got them to top up our phones for the final month.  Also contacted Three to cancel internet contract.  Starting to feel a bit like we are unwinding things.

Stephen went to Glasgow for lunch one day to catch up with a friend and I took the opportunity to visit Hobbs in George Street - one of my favorite streets in Edinburgh and one of my favorite clothes labels.  Served by the most delightful lady who was definitely the UK comedian, Sarah Millican's twin sister.  Walked out with some very lightweight dresses and a pair of shoes (not so lightweight).  Weight has become an obsession with Stephen - very worried we will have to jettison some stuff to be within our luggage weight limits.  Bit surprised by how much I have actually bought clothes-wise for someone who says they don't need much these days as a retiree. Forgotten how much better the range is over here than in Sydney. Beats buying endless Sportscraft and Trenery outfits.   I am sure it will be fine - just need to jettison some fishing stuff.

Have decided that there are three letters that would be a significant reason for not living here permanently -  NHS.  Fortunately our encounters have been fleeting but enough to demonstrate what a bureaucratic and frankly scary health care system it is. Big rant below as can't believe the system the average person has to live with. Not sure of the cost - but I'd be paying for private if I lived here. mmm upon re-reading below I suspect I am a bit naive and there are a large number of Australians who also have to live with this level of healthcare.  Perhaps not quite so bureaucratic though.

One instance - Stephen needed some medicine - just stuff you buy on the shelf in Australia.  Couldn't see it anywhere until finally saw it behind the counter at a Boots in town.  But no, you can't just ask for it.  I am registered with the NHS and have a registered GP practice, which saved us.  We advised of this and it all became  possible to purchase said medicine.  We had to say it was for me (which fortunately was not something exclusively for men - although could have said I identified as a male I guess) and then had to fill in a form with my details, including my registered GP and then we were ushered to a seat where we had to wait some 20 minutes before a pharmacist would see me and ask some easy questions.  We then walked out with medicine at no cost because it was part of a 'Scotland Pharmacy First Scheme'. Would have been happy to pay for it but wasn't game enough to suggest this, in case medicine was withdrawn and we had to start again somewhere else.

Fortunately not needed any serious care, just some prescriptions where had carelessly run out.  Found experience a bit disconcerting though.  Have to first find a GP practice that will register you (that is not guaranteed) and then wait 2 days to be advised are registered.  For my registered practice you have to ring up at 8 am on the day you want to see a Doctor - no booking ahead and grab an appointment for that day - any appointment.  When get to surgery, wait until name is announced over loudspeaker and find allocated GP.  GP is under the gun to get you through very quickly and you walk out clutching a prescription not having to pay for the visit or the prescription.    The lack of cost is great but the care factor is zero.  Doctor not interested in taking any history, any allergies, what medication currently on etc.  Found it a bit scary if this was your only option. 

Won't ever complain again about my GP's allocated 10 minutes, although admittedly the visit and any subsequent medicine does cost.  And if you want a repeat prescription here you have to fill in an online form, wait 2 days for the Doctor to fill one out and then wait another 2 days for the chemist to get it ready.  4 days later you may get it.  I opted for a return visit to another GP instead (the first one being so appalling I nominated to see someone else who might at least look at me).  Then manage to get a script with a repeat but when take to the chemist they can't possibly just fill out one script - you have to do both which is a potential waste given you may not need it.  The bureaucracy and waste is crazy. End of rant.

Have been back to the Cafe Royal for a drink (after 20 minute wait at Boots was needed) and was pleased to see still not invaded by 'Influencers' taking endless photos of themselves having a drink.  Still seemed to be some locals in there as well.  Went into town on Friday to the St James Quarter and it was packed.  Would have thought it was a Saturday.  Gather Europeans and American schools on holiday now and you can tell. Still, after the crowds of London, is manageable.

The Euro24 football competition has entered its final stages so have been watching some of this when on in the afternoons and early evenings.  Have become quite attached to some of the teams.  England still hanging in there and would be one of the least exciting teams to watch.  One of our favourites - Turkey - got knocked out yesterday by The Netherlands.  Spain is probably now the team I am barracking for.  The most exciting to watch anyway.  Wimbledon is also now on although you wouldn't know de Minaur or any other Australians were playing.  The broadcast only shows games any Brits are playing in.  I think most have now been knocked out - including de Minaur's girlfriend who will confess didn't really go for as she seemed a bit of a sook. saw Andy Murray play a doubles match with his brother against 2 Australians.  The Australians won.  Yah. Andy Murray was not moving well around the court so cannot imagine he will be playing any more.

Stephen tells me the British Open starts soon and then there is the Olympics.  I can see a lot of book reading and listening to music in my future as there is just so much sport I can tolerate.  

And we had the British elections.  You would not have known it was election day - no polling booths  that we could see (I know they were around but not prominently so in Edinburgh) and certainly no sausage sizzles.  The mainstream media can't broadcast anything until the polls close at 10pm (they voted on a Thursday for some reason) so nothing much to see there.  Bought the Guardian on Saturday and lay on bed reading all the commentary.  Interesting result.  They have first past the post so a bit frightening how popular Nigel Farage's party is even though only won 5 seats.  Can't see anything good about them.   Our area is unsurprisingly, Labor and the Greens are also popular.  Saw Will and Em's area in London has turned Labor from Conservative.  Essentially Farage split the Conservative vote and the Lib Dems cleverly targeted certain seats and also took votes off the Conservatives.  The Scottish National Party lost out big time to Labor- no surprise there.  Labor's tactics apparently were to win as many seats as possible so in some seats they only narrowly won but it worked.  They only got some 35 % (I think) of the votes but many more seats than the Conservatives.  Mind you, only 60% of the population decided to vote - down on the last election. The 2 major parties seem not to be popular but the first past the post system makes it much easier for them to win seats than at home.  No preference deals here, although there was some tactical voting apparently, especially to ensure the Conservatives did not return to power which I think was a good thing as they seem in chaos with the usual issue of a far right take-over etc etc..  

Jeremy Corbyn made it back in but as an independent which I don't think is a good thing.  The far left being as dangerous as the far right.  There was also a pro-Palestinian element that cost Labor some seats and seems to have taken them by surprise.  That is being said to be relevant for Australian politics.  Can't see I like seeing religion become a major factor in any political parties although to be fair probably very naive comment by me given our Parliament's opening includes a Christian Church service when it is meant to be a secular system.

Been revisiting our next trip's details which is to Orkney and Shetlands  Lots of ancient ruins which Stephen tells me he has a limited tolerance for, so will need to ration those.  I guess there are just so many neolithic ruins you can take in, in a short space of time. Reminded me of many years ago when I overdid the Castle visits in Scotland.  Stephen eventually refused to get out of the car and I visited the last castle on my own.  I guess I can get a bit mono-focused at times.

Also visited hairdresser in Leith for final cut and colour.  Will miss her - for some reason doesn't seem to think I want to look like a poodle when I walk out.  She even suggested I could shave the sides (somewhat like the footballers playing in the Euro24 games).  That took me by surprise but was quite chuffed she thought I could pull it off. There is definitely something somewhat more buzzy in Leith than Naremburn these days.

Different and very colorful flowers now out here.  Would love to be able to replicate some of the hanging baskets or window boxes at home but our climate doesn't quite seem to allow this.  The constant drizzle of rain does have some benefits.  Love the little baskets of flowers everywhere now - on windowsills and hanging baskets and of course planted in gardens. 


London was ahead of Edinburgh pollen-wise so am glad for that reason we won't be here in August.  Think this part of Scotland about 1 month behind the South with its flowers etc.  Stephen came back from London with a good dose of hay fever.  Not Covid thank goodness but dosed up to the gills with anti-histamines.  Seems to be working.

Went for a walk up Leith Walk and as thoughts turned to home, thought why can't we have separate pedestrian and bike lanes on the footpaths plus the bike paths are one-way - up Leith Walk and down on the other side.  Genius.  Enjoy not risking being poleaxed by a Lord of Lycra as I strolled along.  Snapped a cauldron above a chemist on Leith Walk.  Do like the quirkiness of this place.



Commentary from Wimbledon - 'Thank goodness that lady somehow managed to maintain control of her Pimms when the ball came near her.'  No mention of the shot by the player.  Saw the price of some seats at Wimbledon - good grief.  That is not happening anytime soon for us.  Some $16,000 AUD for a pair of tickets for some reserved seating.  Stephen found on closer investigation that you can get some reasonably priced seats for the doubles final.  Irrelevant though.  Not travelling down to London for Wimbledon.  Are enjoying some of the commentary for Wimbledon and for the football.  Particularly some of the Scottish commentators for the football is very dry.  Can see where the Australian humor came from at times.

And my watch decided to die on me this week.  Suspect needs a service not just a new battery so went off to buy a cheaper one that can wear around.  Somehow convinced myself need a Fitbit. (Couldn't come at an Apple Watch once I found out needed charging every second day.  Hard enough remembering to keep phone charged).  Looked small and neat. Fitbit however keeps sending me messages.  It persists on vibrating to remind me to keep moving and warning me with some text (that I can barely read) that I need to keep moving.  It was on  permanent vibrate yesterday when I spent a greater portion of the day prone on the bed reading the Guardian.  It also keeps goading me to do 10,000 steps a day.  I have taken to randomly waving my left hand around to convince the watch I am moving.  And it records how much I sleep each night, breaking it down into deep sleep etc and how many beats per minute my heart is doing.  Getting a bit neurotic checking how much I slept each night - short answer, generally not enough according to Fitbit. Fitbit was not programmed by a middle-aged woman. So far, no alarming heart beat rates have been recorded but again I think this may constitute too much information for me.  The cheaper Casio would have been less irritating.

 


Comments