29 May - Edinburgh

I remembered I forgot to mention that we somehow ended up in an Episcopalian cathedral in the west end of Edinburgh after we visited Dean Village.  We actually were sheltering from the rain when a lady in there enthusiastically waved us in so we thought we'd better enter.  We were told in no uncertain terms that we were in a cathedral not a church and that they were aligned with the Stuart Kings (who were Protestants) and were definitely not Catholics.  I didn't have the heart to tell her the Stuarts reign ended some time ago in 1714.  Anyway was quite grand as churches go and Stephen and our friend John decided to pretend to be choir boys. Also had a very impressive stained glass window and interesting creatures on the outside door arch. 





Yesterday started sunny so I immediately headed out for a walk early morning.  And when I got back it was still sunny so Stephen and I thought we'd head out before that all changed.  The sunshine was brilliant and I again remembered to look up and stop occasionally on my walks and take a few photos.  Found out that the pointed turrets and cupola looking things are a "Scottish baronial" style and basically they had a thing for Gothic architecture in Edinburgh.  It does suit the grey sandstone. A lot of the building aren't as old as they look because they are really just imitation Gothic.  More like 1800's. 






The sky was lovely and clear with only a few wispy clouds. Once we got into town we accidentally found this brilliant little coffee shop near the Portrait Gallery that is run by Ukranians.  Best coffee we have had so far.  Saw some Ukranian dishes on the menu. Will be back for more than coffee.

The flowers and flowering trees have changed since our first arrival.  The huge bumble bees are very busy now.






As can be seen above, the sky was looking more dramatically dark so we hastened home for a late lunch.

Today I went with one of our visiting Australian friends to see the Royal Yacht Britannia.  And it was really good.  Very well organised walk around the boat with an audio guide. We broke half way through for some coffee and scones which also were really nice.  The boat is huge.  The entertaining quarters for the Royal Family were very impressive although slightly 'daggy' decor (reminding me a bit of Buckingham House actually).   There were also a very impressive number of people who lived below decks (in varying states of comfort) who were at the Royals beck and call and who looked after the boat.


Formal Dining Room


Formal Sitting room


Some of the many staff sleeping quarters.  A bit cramped.

Scones at the tearoom. Very pleasant interlude.



Another lounge room below but this was for some of the seamen on board - from memory the more senior ones.  Bizarrely they had a game called 'Wombat Cricket" which seemed to involve whacking a stuffed wombat around the place.  He is seen perched on the ceiling fan now.  There is also a funny picture of him being 'operated' on in the surgery area of the ship.  (They had everything on this ship including a huge laundry which having been told some of the seamen had to change some 12 times a day; I wasn't surprised.  Not sure why the need to change outfits so often.)




The last photo also features a corgi who appears in many strange places throughout the boat.  Once we exited (via the gift shop of course) we saw there was a competition you could enter as to how many corgis there actually were.  We decided not to enter as the prize was a stuffed corgi.


The last one has a corgi in the back of one of Phil and Betty's getaway vehicles.  They also had a Jeep on board


and a few other getaway boats.



The Yacht is moored down at Leith so very easy for us to get to.  I headed into town after visit (which took a couple of hours) as firstly the sun was shining, secondly it felt warm(ish), thirdly, yesterday I had spied a shop in the St James Quarter that had a sale on where the clothes were actually cheaper than at home and lastly, I was a free agent as Stephen was having drinks with his Scottish friend David.
Did some shopping and raced back just ahead of the rain.  When Stephen reappeared we had a Spiced Rum drink which we had bought in far far north Scotland.  Very pleasant.  And I had done some reading this afternoon on the bonded warehouses where we are staying.  Looks like they were bonded warehouses for holding whisky and wine to send over to France - mainly whisky.  Leith did a lot of trading with the French at one time and Leith was known for its glass factories - it is asserted that the present shape of wine bottles may have been invented here.  The bonded warehouse we are staying in therefore seems a particularly appropriate place for us. 






Comments