26 April - Sunshine on Leith


Been back in Edinburgh for a few days now and enjoying pottering around.  The Spring flowers are out so bunches of daffodils, tulips and flowering trees everywhere.  Very pretty. Reaching for the antihistamines .....




It's still cool.  I like how I have quickly come to the view that 3 degrees (feels like 2) is cool instead of ***** freezing.  But we have had sunshine most of the time.  Made the most of it and been into town a few times.  Checked out the new St James Quarter which is a lovely new shopping precinct.  Also visited Caidenheads (again) and picked up some whisky Stephen had on order.  Continued on down the Royal Mile and down Victoria Street which heads to the Grassmarket and fast wished we hadn't.  Wall to wall tourists. Lots of Americans and European school students.  Victoria Street was quite bizarre (to us anyway).  They have re-branded, based on the tenuous proposition that JK Rowling based one of the streets (Diagon Alley) in her Harry Potter books on this street.  One of the shops that I have wandered into in the past - was previously just quirky and full of funny curious items; has re-branded into a Harry Potter shop, complete with a waiting line on a red carpet outside. Couldn't even get into one of Stephen's favourite pubs - the Bow Bar for a quick drink. 

We retreated back into the New Town and nipped into the National Gallery for a quick scoot around to see what they had hanging at present.  Found one of my favourite portraits - the Skating Minister.  Ducked back out, decided we did need a refreshing ale/gin and went into the Cafe Royal.  An old favourite that has Royal Doulton ceramic tiles on its wall featuring innovators like Ben Franklin, James Watt etc. Only disturbed by one lot of tourists who dashed in, individually photographed all the tiles and then dashed out again.  Job done.  Aagh.

Finding tourists' behaviour quite strange but then I have not travelled to Europe for some 5 years and a lot has happened since then.  The tourists seem to have an air of franticness - rushing from place to place, ticking places off their list.  Stepped off the Royal Mile and Princes Street yesterday, onto Rose Street and George Street (both much nicer New Town streets) and they were very quiet.  Obviously no Harry Potter stuff there. 

A lot of shops seem to have survived the last few years, which is good.  Stephen disappointed that a fishing shop near Charlotte Square hasn't and neither has a nice bag shop (for me) or a cake shop from which Will once ordered some birthday cupcakes for me.  Waterstones has survived on Princes Street and popped in, as I feel the need for a few new books to be bought next week.  Found one that is a perfect combo for Stephen and I - a historical crime fiction novel. Still much cheaper than home and such a range of books.  I could quite happily stay there for a couple of hours, leaving Stephen to pick me up when I am done.

Stephen is off to drop off some fishing gear at his friend David's house.  David lives in Ayrshire in a little place near Troon  called Perceton.  It is about a 2 hour drive from here - past Glasgow  - so he set off early.   I was not looking for a 4 hour round trip, so left him to it plus he and David will no doubt enjoy just catching up.

I have joined a local gym which is a very short walk from our place.  Completely refurbished and huge.  To date, I have braved the cold and dashed across with only a thinnish top and leggings but when the rain arrives again (which it will) I can see a warm jacket with hood being required for the brisk walk.  Leith is full of Millennials so have not yet spotted another middle aged woman at the gym.  Some middle aged men pretending they are still in their 20's but I am an outlier. Not worried and am enjoying the exercise - suspect we will be eating well in Spain where we will shortly be going, so not a bad idea to get in some exercise while I can.  

Been eating in this week as we will be eating out every day when in Spain so trying to be a bit healthier.  Enjoying their fruit and veg still.  Generally fresher than home and lasts much longer.  I had a duck egg for breakfast this morning which was brought back from the River Halladale.  Delicious.  Very rich.  Had to scrape the yolk off the plate when cleaning.  Stephen also enjoying some world championship snooker tournament that is on at present. I am learning a lot about potting the black ball, not potting the white ball etc.

Below are some photos of the bonded warehouse where our flat is and compulsory photo of the castle which we spied as we were walking along Rose Street in the New Town. Oh and us at the Cafe Royal - Stephen ordering our drinks and one of me which I thought I should include, so people believe I am actually here. Edinburgh is really is a bit like Disneyland with the medieval and Georgian buildings.  







Comments