19 April - River Halladale or Why I will never live in far North Scotland ๐
Sent the fishing people off again this morning -ever hopeful to catch a fish. Stephen did snare a trout yesterday but no luck elsewhere as yet. Was not a large trout so didn't attempt to cook it for a meal. I declined to sit in the sun and watch them fish today as still very windy and very cold (about 5-7 degrees); opting to stay at home. Had a lovely sunny day 2 days ago. I went for a long walk along the beach which fronts Melvich Bay and then spent some time relaxing on a bench near our cottage, enjoying the sun and watching the bird life. Eventually ended up in our front garden listening to some music, with the others resting on a picnic rug enjoying their beers when they returned.
Yesterday was declared a rest day and we drove into Thurso, the most northern town in mainland UK. Had a delicious lunch in a local cafe. Em tried a haggis sandwich which she said was very nice. Stephen confirmed was very good. I declined to taste it. Went for a brief walk around the town. Nice and cosy inside places but goodness it is bleak outdoors. Admittedly it was very windy, cold and raining so that didn't help. We did visit 2 distilleries outside of town - Wolfburn Distillery and North Point Distillery. Bought some peaty Scotch at Wolfburn and some gin and rum at North Point. Especially liked the gin and looking forward to trying it (and probably finishing it) when back in Edinburgh.
Stephen made a yummy ratatouille last night and enjoyed another very nice bottle of wine from Will's favourite wine shop in London. He has apparently become best buddies with someone called JD at this wineshop. No doubt we will meet him when we visit in London.
Very glad I made the trip up here to see the famous fishing spot. It is nothing like we see in Australia. You can imagine the Vikings turning up here and you can see why everyone looks so hardy. Cannot imagine what Winter must be like if this is Spring. In fact not sure how people managed to live here before the invention of electric/gas heating. Lots of wood/peat being burned for warmth I guess.
Oh yes did see a lot of wind farms yesterday. They are huge up close and loud. But better than burning coal. Will says that Scotland makes more energy than it uses. And there is a decommissioned nuclear power station here which we drive by. Will take about 50 years to fully decommission I was told. Also lots and lots of little lambs about. Lambing season officially started 2 days ago our ghillie told us. The fishing people saw a lamb giving birth 2 days ago. Em said she looked completely unconcerned; just kept on eating grass while giving birth. Seen a few cows in the paddock above our cottage. I avoid them. Will mocked me when I said I would not get into a paddock with them as they are huge. Stephen pointed out that they are very large and have been known to charge people - I will admit that is not a regular occurrence. So far, I have only sighted one cow in the paddock above us. Will told me was a scout sent out by the other cows. That didn't reassure me.



Comments
Post a Comment