20 April River Halladale
Last day at the River. Gale force winds have actually stopped today. About 5 degrees when they headed out but should be a bit pleasanter. Yesterday was fine but extremely windy. Stephen managed to catch a couple of trout so they are down for dinner tonight. Much instruction on the gutting of fish last night.
They ventured up into the hill lochs yesterday and Will and Em got taken out onto the lochs in a boat. Em said had never been so cold although very scenic.
The sun doesn't set until about 8.30pm so after dinner we headed out onto the estuary and some more fishing was done from the bank. Still no nibbles although Em and I managed to catch some seaweed. Quite surreal standing on the sand fishing into an ink black fast flowing water with the moon in the sky and sun still slowly setting. Gave up after half an hour though. So windy and cold. Will and Em have got us watching a South Korean reality TV show called Physical100. It's hilarious. Essentially a bunch of very physically fit people competing in these various physical challenges to win some money. There are both men and women competing although the women are getting eliminated pretty quickly. A take out for me is that no matter how strong the women are, any of the men seem to be able to overpower them. Well so far anyway. There is apparently a Season 2! Not sure Stephen and I are up to another Season but feel we may have to before we meet up with Will and Em again at the end of June.
Last night was some very yummy pork sausages from Stephen's favorite Edinburgh butcher - George Bower. I took on cooking duties given they did not get back until about 6.30pm and they looked fairly wrecked. Em so cold she was still wearing her bright blue beanie while washing up dishes after dinner.
Will's borrowed waders appear to have developed a leak in a rather unfortunate place. Will assures us it is not what we think, but it's always good to be able to poke fun at him anyway.
I only ventured out for short walks yesterday as was so cold. Did manage to spy my favorite cow in the paddock above me. No doubt just keeping an eye on me. And there was a very cute rabbit in the front yard who I managed to scare off before I could photograph it.
Given dramatic drop in the wind today, I will venture out for a beach walk while the fishing people are out. Finishing off remaining luncheon food today. There is only 1 egg left which I have hard boiled. Eggs are very popular and they even brought some farm fresh ones back the other day. Apparently easier to catch than fish. I am told we are going to have our own Physical100 challenge to determine who gets the egg for lunch. That doesn't augur well for Stephen or I.
And just heard Em has managed to catch a fish. Very exciting news for up here! Looks like a trout from the photos. More food for tonight I imagine! Below are some photos of fishing from the estuary last night, sunset over Melvich Bay and Em's first fly fishing catch.



Comments
Post a Comment